1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Don Gray" <dgray@eesi.org>
Date: 08 May 1997 09:42:49
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: US military landfill

 I see no problem in asking developed countries like Germany and Japan,
 who were able to redevelop rapidly after WWII in part because they did
 not have to maintain their own defense forces due to the presence of
 our bases, to pay for half or even more of the cost of cleaning up
 those bases. However, a problem arises in applying this policy to
 U.S. overseas territories, like Guam, former colonies and other
 developing countries because most do not have the wherewithall to
 finance such cleanups, and if the U.S. doesn't pay for them, they are
 not likely to get done in a timely fashion.

 Don Gray dgray@eesi.org