1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 15:37:31 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: NEW CLOSURE PROCESS

NEW CLOSURE PROCESS

This is the portion of the May 6, 1997 Pentagon Press Briefing dealing
with Defense Secretary Cohen's decision to move forward with additional
base closures. As the text explains, the process is by no means
decided, but it's going to happen.

Lenny Siegel

Q: How about physically attenuating the base structure? Could you walk
us through the plans for the BRAC and mechanics? It's been widely
reported on the wires...

A: I cannot walk you through the plans or the mechanics. I can speak at
great length about the BRAC process and would be glad to give you a
history lesson on what we've done in the past, but let me just tell you
what Secretary Cohen has said and what's shaping his thinking in this
regard.

We've had four rounds of base closures and realignments, as you know.
As of today, we have contracted our base structure -- both at home and
abroad -- by 18 percent. In other words, we've reduced our base
infrastructure by 18 percent. During that same period, we have reduced
the size of the force by 33-1/3 percent, and of course we've reduced
our procurement spending by almost 70 percent from its peak before the
end of the Cold War.

So the reduction in base infrastructure has not kept up with the
reduction in force.

When the current BRAC round, the last BRAC round is completed in 2001,
the contraction in the base structure will have been 21 percent, which
still lags behind the 33 percent reduction in force.

So Secretary Cohen looked at that and concluded that we are carrying
and paying for more infrastructure than we need. He concluded that we
had to cut our infrastructure, and one way to cut is to seek another
BRAC round, so he will seek additional base closures. There will be
other ways that he'll focus on as well, or the report will focus on, to
cut infrastructure spending. It may be that he'll mention a few of
those tonight in his speech to the Business Executives for National
Security, because he'll be dealing with the adoption of business
practices, sort of a revolution in business practices at the Defense
Department.

Q: One clarification. If he does seek an additional BRAC, would the
mechanics be that the Administration would send a bill up to request
that from Congress? Or would he just make it part of the QDR report?
How would that be executed if he decides to formally request that?

A: Of course we're part of the Administration, so it would be the
Administration that would fall in behind further base reductions. I
expect we would submit legislation. We would request legislation
establishing another BRAC Commission, is my sense.

Q: There is no such bill pending up there now, right?