1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Rainer Knoll <rainer.knoll@t-online.de>
Date: 30 Apr 1997 23:44:48
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: US military landfill

Hello,

I'm looking for any information about US military landfills.

I`m living next to the large US training area Grafenwoehr in Germany. On
this site there is an old landfill, that is toxifying groundwater with
heavy metals and other toxic substances. Nobody knows exactly, what is
inside the landfill. All that has been done up to now was covering the
landfill to stop the rainwater going through.

But that doesn`t work, because groundwater analysis show that there are
still enormous amounts of toxic substances and they do not decrease.
German authorities refuse to demand a cleanup, I guess because this
would be very expensive and cause cause interstate problems between USA
and Germany. On the other hand I think the US Army is just waiting for
the moment they give up this base, so Germany has to pay for the
cleanup....

Now I`m looking for similar cases in USA or elsewhere. Special
interested in the cost and success of military clean up and the general
strategy of the US Army concerning how to deal with pollution on
training areas.

We are also very interested in any information about the training area
of Grafenwoehr, about the future plans, especially about the fate of
the civilian employees, because the army is the most important employer
in our area. This is a very important fact, because the army decreases
the amount of civilian workers step by step. So sometimes people like
us were indicted to be responsible for this, because we are fighting
against any pollution, that is threatening our health and the nature.
We hope, that the agreement of the people with the conditions on the
area will decrease the less of jobs will be left.

Can you help me?

Rainer Knoll

Zusammenschluss umweltbewusster Buerger
(means our organisation, I try to translate:
"united environmentally-concious citizens")