2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 12 Sep 2007 04:17:00 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Great Lakes Ordnance

[The statement excerpted and linked below is 11 months old. The Coast Guard proposal it criticized has been abandoned, at least for now. But the unexploded ordnance and other military wastes that it describes remain under water in the Great Lakes, with no mandate for the Defense Department or any other agency to determine whether they should be removed. - LS]

ESTABLISHING PERMANENT LIVE FIRE SAFETY ZONES ON THE GREAT LAKES:
SAFE FOR WHOM?

By James Barton jamesbarton@uwuxo.com
October 13, 2006

The US Coast Guard is attempting to create permanent live fire "safety" zones in the Great Lakes so the various USCG Stations around the Lakes can conduct small arms training for boat crews. A treaty with Canada dating back to 1812 has been “massaged” to permit this activity. There are 34 different zones proposed, encompassing a total of 2300 square miles.

Over 200 public comments have been made (http://dms.dot.gov/ Docket ID USCG 2006-25767) outlining residents and business owner’s support for the need to train, and concern for both safety, commerce, and the addition of lead bullets to an ecosystem where lead split-shot fishing tackle, and lead bird shot is outlawed. The USCG counters they will use "jacketed" ammo, thereby reducing the amount of lead introduced to the lakes. Also, there is concern noted by others about some of the "unusual" locations proposed for this activity.

These are important issues to be weighed against the international threats we face today, but it is a threat looming from our past which concerns me, and how the establishment of “permanent” live fire safety zones is expected to diminish our ability to deal with, or to even fully understand the extent of the problem.

http://www.cpeo.org/pubs/GreatLakesLiveFireZones.doc