2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: dhenshel@indiana.edu
Date: 26 Nov 2002 18:13:31 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: [CPEO-MEF] What is wrong with the way the RAB's are set up?

Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:09:38 -0500

[129.79.1.219])
        by rockridge.uits.indiana.edu (8.12.1/8.12.1/IUPO) with ESMTP id

gAQI9ae3024352;
        Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:09:36 -0500 (EST)

Hi -
This is Diane Henshel.  I work with the RAB at Jefferson Proving Ground.

I personally think the problem is not with the RABs per se, but with the

division of power at the BRAC sites.  If RABs, or any groups, are to be
effective, they must be enabled to participate in the process as a full
partner.  That means that meetings must be set with them in mind, and
located such that RAB personnel can participate. Alternatively, monies
could be made available to the RABs (outside of the TAPP funds) to allow

the RAB representatives (technical or not, and it's not always the
technical rep who needs to be present) to travel to out of town
meetings.
Further, it seems like the power structure is set up hierarchically.
RAB people are low on the totem pole.  Thus, our wishes, educated or
not, feasible or not, reasonable or not, can be ignored.  Interestingly,

even the regulatory agencies (like EPA) only participate as a courtesy.
Their opinions can also be ignored, if the BRAC PM chooses to ignore
them.

So, I think the problems are power issues, and lack of availability of
funds for true active participation in all parts of the process.
Diane Henshel