2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 6 May 2002 15:00:47 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Lines in the sand

The sprawl of residential development near the flight path of Air Force
jets based at Arizona's Luke Air Force Base represents a classical case
of encroachment. However, not only are there still workable solutions
there, but the development of such solutions may provide guidance for
the development of national solutions to the growing tension between
military readiness and metropolitan expansion.

I admit that I don't have detailed knowledge of the situation at Luke. I
certainly don't know Arizona planning law. But I think the conceptual
suggestion that I offer here may be useful to those on site.

The first step is for all stakeholders - the Air Force, state and local
government, environmental groups, etc. - to draw lines the sand defining
the boundaries of a military impact area. That is, one set of lines may
describe the area within which noise from Luke's F-16s is likely to
remain too loud for residential development. Other sets of lines may
circumscribe areas sufficiently quiet to accommodate commercial or
recreational use. Still others may represent other constraints,
including safety zones for landing and departing aircraft or radio
frequency interference areas.

This might not be easy. I can imagine the Air Force wanting large cones
of flight, so the planes could operate unconstrained. And I can imagine
residents and developers seeking to limit flights to the absolute
minimum necessary to accomplish the installation's training mission. The
delineated impact area, in my opinion, should lie somewhere in between.

The next step would be to translate the military impact area into a
Military Impact Overlay Zone, through which the local land use planning
jurisdictions would limit development based on the compromise lines in
the sand. In some areas, height restrictions would assure flight safety.
This is a rather standard practice. In other areas, residential
development would be prohibited because of anticipated noise levels.

However, just as zoning, by itself, has shortcomings in enforcing land
use controls associated with cleanup, it is likely to prove weak in
halting encroachment. But the land use planning jurisdictions could
reach long-term agreements, with the state or Air Force, making it more
difficult to alter the Military Impact Overlay Zone unilaterally. It may
also be possible to write such restrictions into deeds of other property
documents. Conceivably, all of these steps would require modification of
state law or municipal ordinances.

Restrictions on property use inevitably raise the constitutional issue
of "takings." The government isn't supposed to take away land value
without compensating owners. I don't think that even the U.S. Supreme
Court knows yet how broadly it will define takings, but I'm somewhat
unsympathetic toward speculators who buy undeveloped land on the
assumption that it will soon be suitable for development. That is, if
someone's property lies directly beneath an long-standing F-16 flight
path, he/she shouldn't expect to build housing or sell the property at
residential values there.

Still, if indeed the overlay zone lines in the sand take legitimate
value from owners, then there should be mechanisms for compensation. The
local government should be empowered to negotiate the purchase of the
property or development rights; perhaps it should even be authorized to
use eminent domain to gain control. Similarly, the Defense Department
should be able to fund the purchase of development rights - as proposed
in the Readiness and Range Preservation Initiative. There should be both
voluntary and involuntary mechanisms for property owner compensation.

Most of what I'm suggesting is not new. But I'm urging more than its
consideration in Arizona. It would help, at the dozens (or more) of
military installations where the conflict between growth and readiness
has emerged, to have a national template: a model zoning ordinance;
supporting model state laws; and legally sound funding mechanisms. That
is, a dialogue or discussion among national representatives of all the
stakeholder groups typically found in locations such as Luke could
develop generic solutions to encroachment. Those would have to be
adapted at each installations, but working through the local details
would be significantly easier if the conceptual guidelines were
established nationally.

Lenny