1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Peter Strauss <pstrauss@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 1995 20:19:33 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: BTEX remediation

Don,

You raised several points in your last reply to Jeffery, and let me add
something. First, it is unlikely that EPA can provide a "grant" for a
new technology. EPA supports a program called the SITE program which does
conduct and fund small pilot projects. This should not be confused with the
DOIT (demonstrate on-site innovative technologies) program that is sponsored
by the Western Governors Association, and is supported by DoD, EPA, and
Interior. However, my experience participating on the military working
group of the DOIT Committee suggests that there is essentially no funding for
actual projects.
Second, bio-remediation is a process which has been used in numerous cases.
As you suggest, the level of contamination, the location of contaminants, and
the actual VOCs will all be factors to determine if this is a solution
(along with the hyrdogeology of the site).

Peter Strauss
pstrauss@igc.org