1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: zweifel@nexus.chapman.edu
Date: 01 Jun 1995 10:34:13
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: BTEX remediation

Posting from Don Zweifel <zweifel@nexus.chapman.edu>

Jeffrey,

In ground or in-situ bioremediation is a valid gambit in the battle to
remove VOCs or volatile organic compounds. At MCAS, El Toro, Ca. we are
about to implement a pilot project that may be exceedingly effective in
remediating the TCE and benzene contamination plumes. Essentially it
involves injecting air via wells, into the AOC or area of concern, to assist
the indigenous aerobic micro-organisms to attack and reduce these
molecules into chemically inert constituents.

The tried and true pump-and-treat methodology is usually a more
expeditious way of remediation, however it is usually far less
cost-effective than in-situ bioremediation.

We believe that the USEPA regards bioremediation as an `innovative
technology' and will provide a special grant if the site is
considered `DOIT' worthy.

If Westover AFB is on the NPL (National Priority List) as a CERCLA
Superfund site then you'll have a USEPA program manager. A query to
him/her re the feasibilty of `DOIT' implementation might be worth
consideration.

On an added note, may we iterate that the level of contamination is of
critical importance as to whether bioremediation can be effective or not.
If the concentration is too high then this process probably cannot be
instituted.

What levels of contamination have been determined?

 Don Zweifel