2014 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 22:13:46 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] VOCs: High TCE levels found near Bethpage (NY) Navy Plant

High levels of toxic waste found near Bethpage well

By JENNIFER BARRIOS
Long Island Newsday
November 6, 2014

High levels of a potential carcinogen have been found in groundwater in Bethpage near a former naval industrial site, and local water districts worry that public-supply wells could be affected.

The toxic waste, an industrial solvent called trichloroethylene, or TCE, has been found in groundwater under and around the former defense plant that once housed Northrop Grumman and U.S. Navy operations.

While the Navy has been monitoring groundwater and treating it to remove TCE, new results this year from a monitoring well the Navy installed north of Hempstead Turnpike show TCE levels as high as 4,600 parts per billion in groundwater hundreds of feet below the surface.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/high-levels-of-toxic-waste-found-near-bethpage-well-1.9592890

278-A Hope Street