2012 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 08:21:15 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ENERGY, ENCROACHMENT: Kingsville Naval Air Station (TX) and wind farms

Military Bases Want More Say on Development

by John Wayne Ferguson
Texas Tribune
August 22, 2012

In the past two-and-a-half years, Cpt. Mark McLaughlin began to feel as if his U.S. Navy jet base south of Corpus Christi was being quietly surrounded.

If something was not done soon, McLaughlin said he thought, Naval Air Station Kingsville, one of the Navy's two jet bases, might someday be unable to perform its duties and could potentially close.

It's not an enemy force prompting this career military man to worry over holding his position, though. It's a group South Texas wind farms.

"I am dealing with wind farm developers from multiple companies that are planning to encircle my base with upwards of 1,400 wind turbines," McLaughlin told the House Committee on Military and Veterans Affairs on Wednesday. "Currently, the lack of any formal or enforceable early notification means that I usually find out about a wind farm developer wanting to build something after they've already notified the FAA, which means they've already invested a lot of time, money and resources into their plan."

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-state-agencies/licensing-and- regulation/military-bases-wants-more-say-development/