2012 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 13:08:43 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] LONG-TERM MANAGEMENT: "Minding the End"

MINDING THE END

By Lenny Siegel, Michael Kavanaugh, and William Walsh
June, 2012

Today, most people engaged in hazardous waste cleanup in the U.S., from all
perspectives, recognize that it is essential to “begin with the end in mind”—that is, to
make decisions about characterization and remediation based upon the desired or likely
end state of the affected properties. Unfortunately, when we collectively began the task of
cleaning up contaminated soil and groundwater in America roughly three decades ago,
none of us knew what the end would look like.

Despite our best efforts and intentions as a nation, residual contamination will
remain in place, at levels that do not allow for unrestricted use and unlimited exposure, at
perhaps tens of thousands of sites throughout the nation. Many of these sites include
plumes of groundwater contamination where it is infeasible to restore the resource to
drinking water standards throughout the aquifer. Others are landfills or disposal sites
where remedial actions would simply move contaminated media from one location to
another. We may argue about when, but most sites will reach the point where active
remediation is no longer effective. The end, at these sites, is not pristine soil and
groundwater, but a state at which significant risk reduction has been achieved and the
public and the environment are protected, but where residual contamination poses a
continuing potential risk of exposure that demands “long-term management” (LTM).

In this 5-page, 124 KB paper, the authors propose the formation of one or more Long-Term-Management-Only Organizations. To download the PDF, go to http://www.cpeo.org/pubs/MindingtheEnd.pdf

Please excuse duplicate postings.