2012 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 13:11:09 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ENCROACHMENT: "Residents near Oceana [Naval Air Station, VA] staying put after jet crash"

Residents near Oceana staying put after jet crash

By Mike Hixenbaugh
Virginian-Pilot
June 4, 2012

VIRGINIA BEACH - Roaring fighter jets don't bother Walt Hines. The 57- year-old Oceana Gardens resident sat in his front yard Tuesday as a seemingly unending line of F/A-18D Hornets screamed less than 200 feet overhead. One passed by every 90 seconds or so, with engines so loud they rattled windows and blocked out the shouts of children playing nearby.

"It was frightening, but the crash didn't really change anything," Reid said. "We always knew it could happen. And we know it could happen again. I wouldn't expect a rush of people lining up to sell their houses."

The option is there, however. Since 2007, the city has spent more than $63 million to purchase and clear nearly 500 homes and 60 businesses near Oceana as part of its ongoing effort to reduce density in accident-potential zones immediately surrounding the master jet base. The state funds half the program.

Elizabeth Chupik, an associate city attorney who administers the voluntary program, thought there might be a surge of new applicants following the April 6 crash. It hasn't happened, she said.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/06/residents-near-oceana-staying-put- after-jet-crash