2012 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 07:13:12 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] "Closing Major Bases outside of BRAC Unlikely, Panetta Says"

[I'm sure that many host communities and their elected representatives are breathing easier, as the prospect for a new round of base closure soon seems to diminish. But as I've said before, I don't understand the attraction of having a "hollow" base in one's community, where activity and employment gradually fall but the property is off limits for economic recovery. - LS]

Closing Major Bases outside of BRAC Unlikely, Panetta Says

Defense Communities 360
April 2, 2012

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta last week said major installations should be closed only through the BRAC process, a statement that should ease communities' concerns about the department’s intentions to shutter bases if Congress does not authorize new base closure rounds.

"There is some de minimis closures that we have the right to do under the law, but my view is that for the kind of major installation, that ought to be done through the BRAC process," Panetta said Friday during an informal press event aboard the USS Peleliu, off the coast of Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Panetta's comments should serve to clarify earlier remarks made by Dorothy Robyn, deputy undersecretary of defense for installations and environment, at several Capitol Hill hearings over recent weeks. Robyn had told lawmakers that in the absence of obtaining congressional authorization to use BRAC, DOD "will be forced to use its existing authorities" to close or realign bases. She most likely was referring to 10 U.S.C. Sec. 2687, a statute allowing base closures and realignments to be carried out when a BRAC round is not in effect.

http://www.defensecommunities.org/headlines/closing-major-bases- outside-of-brac-unlikely-panetta-says/#