2012 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 11:02:32 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FORMER SITES: I-Denni site, Saipan, Northern Marianas

Army Corps cites levels of PCB, lead contamination in I-Denni

By Haidee V. Eugenio
Saipan Tribune (CNMI)
February 17, 2012
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said the highest reading for polychlorinated biphenyls soil contamination in I-Denni/Edoni on Capital Hill is so far 19 parts per million even as the standard cleanup level is 1 ppm, while lead found in the area soil ranges from 40 ppm to 3,000 ppm and the goal is to keep it down to 300 ppm.

PCB and lead are toxic chemicals. These are found at a pit that the U.S. military used during and after World War II as a waste repository. It has been identified as a formerly used defense site, or FUDS.

"This is not high," said Army Corps' Helene Takemoto, referring to the highest reading of 19 ppm, which she said is still below the over 50 ppm threshold for it to be considered "contamination."

http://www.saipantribune.com/newsstory.aspx?newsID=116614&cat=1