2012 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 11:00:45 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FORMER SITES, GLOBAL: Waste removed from Saipan's (CNMI) Capital Hill

Massive cleanup of contaminated site on Capital Hill

By Haidee V. Eugenio
Saipan Tribune (CNMI)
February 8, 2012

Tons of soil believed contaminated with polychlorinated biphenyls, lead, organochlorine pesticides, diesel, motor oil, and other toxic chemicals dumped during and after World War II are now being extracted from the I-Denni area on Capital Hill for off-island shipment and disposal, some nine years after the federal government completed a $20-million cleanup that rid Tanapag of over of 40,000 tons of PCB-laced soil.

Several dozens of jumbo white sacks containing contaminated soil were located by the entrance to the I-Denni removal site. The white sacks are labeled, “Non-RCRA Regulated Waste,” and the shipper is the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Honolulu District.

Big trucks carrying soil were seen leaving the site, which was off- limits to the media as of yesterday afternoon.

http://www.saipantribune.com/newsstory.aspx?newsID=116374&cat=1