2011 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:28:41 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PERCHLORATE: NASA-funded treatment plant in Pasadena, CA

Opening of NASA-funded water-treatment plant celebrated

By Janette Williams
Pasadena Star News (CA)
October 20, 2011

PASADENA - Raising glasses of perchlorate-free water, city, state, federal and NASA officials toasted the official opening of the $8.5 million Monk Hill Water Treatment Plant in Northwest Pasadena on Wednesday.

"It tastes wonderful," said Phyllis Currie, who has overseen what she called the "massive clean-up" project during her entire 10-year tenure as general manager of Pasadena Water and Power. "There were days when we were concerned if we could pull it off," Currie said. "This is a day of joy, pride and relief. It was very, very hard to bring this project to fruition."

Monk Hill is the third local NASA-funded plant brought on-line to treat groundwater contaminated by thousands of pounds of perchlorate - a component of rocket fuel - and other volatile compounds that were the legacy of experimental work at Jet Propulsion Laboratory during World War II.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_19157379