2011 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 16:12:26 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] RADIATION: Marine Helicopter crash site, Kaneohe (HI)

Activist concerned about possible radioactive contamination at Kaneohe Sandbar

Reported by Andrew Pereira
KHON TV-2 News (Honolulu, HI)
September 1, 2011

KANEOHE - Environmental activist Carroll Cox says a helicopter that crashed onto the Kaneohe Sandbar on the evening of March 29, killing one marine and injuring three others, released radioactive material into the surrounding area.

Cox says he was informed a week-and-a-half ago by military sources that the CH-53D Sea Stallion helicopter contained a device known as an In-flight Blade Inspection System, or IBIS. Within the device are six half inch pellets that contain the radioactive isotope strontium-90, a known carcinogen with a half life of 29 years that’s easily absorbed by human bones.

"I'm told by sources that some did contaminate, that meant that these capsules were breeched," Cox said in an interview with Khon2. "I would like to see an independent entity sample that area."

For the entire story, see
http://www.khon2.com/news/local/story/Activist-concerned-about- possible-radioactive/G8VSRGqInE6coU7iwYL9Lg.cspx