2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 21:09:09 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] HEALTH: Depleted Uranium at Hawai'ian Army bases

[I believe depleted uranium is a hazard when it oxidizes and forms particulates, but that its simple presence as a metal is not necessarily a hazard. Unfortunately, many people who write about it don't describe its risks in sufficient detail. I can report that when I visited Schofield Barracks three years ago I was presented with no such waiver. - LS]

Report: Area unsafe

By Alan D. Mcnarie
Big Island Weekly (HI)
August 11, 2010

U. S. Army sources have often contended that the depleted uranium left by spent shells on its firing ranges at O'ahu's Schofield Barracks and Hawai'i Island's Pohakuloa Training Area pose no danger to the public.

In 2008, Army officials told the Hawaii County Council that DU did not pose a health risk to the public, even though the Saddle Road passes through Pohakuloa Training Area, where DU shell fragments had been found. In a recent letter to Rep. Mazie Hirono, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army Addison Davis, IV, wrote that "Many independent scientific studies of uranium in the environment show that DU presents no significant 'environmental health or safety hazard,' especially at soil concentration of the DU on Hawaii's ranges."

http://www.bigislandweekly.com/articles/2010/08/11/read/news/news02.txt