2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Laura Olah" <cswab@merr.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:10:46 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Bullying RAB Members

Hi Steven and all,

Good question.  The Army cited its contract with the RAB's TAPP consultant as the basis for the gag order to me.  While I am the community point of contact for the RAB's request for TAPP funding, I am not a party to the contract between U.S. TACOM-Rock Island and our TAPP consultant.

To be honest, I find the bullying both intimidating and hostile -- after all, this is the U.S. Department of Defense ordering me to hide an environmental report pending some action on their part and I’ve no idea what the “or else” might be.  Further, the action is discriminatory as I am the only RAB member who has been so approached by the Army.

As far as the specific language in the TAPP contract, the Army cites the following terms:

“…The contractor is expected to present information at the RAB meetings.  The Army and the contractors that prepared the documents will also make presentations at the same meetings.  There will be coordination between these parties required before the meeting, so the information presented is not redundant and responsibility for presentation topics are clearly defined…”

“…The contractor shall make Power Point or other presentations for public education at FS-associated public meetings (RAB or site-specific).  These presentations shall be provided to the BAAAP installation staff at least 24 hours before the meeting to allow for fact checking and verification of equipment compatibility.  The installation can provide the computer and projection equipment for the meeting…”

I’ll leave it to readers to decide for themselves if these conditions require that TAPP work products such as fact sheets and written comments are subject to Army retention and approval and that the release of unapproved TAPP work products is expressly prohibited.

And further, that community members who volunteer to facilitate the engagement of TAPP consultants for their RAB may be bullied by the U.S. Department of Defense.

Laura

--

Laura Olah, Executive Director

Citizens for Safe Water Around Badger (CSWAB)

E12629 Weigand's Bay South

Merrimac, WI  53561

(608) 643-3124

info@cswab.org