2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 21 Nov 2007 13:24:23 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Rialto (CA) declares perchlorate emergency
Rialto pursues state aid over perchlorate plume

Riverside Press-Enterprise (CA)
November 20, 2007

RIALTO - The City Council on Tuesday unanimously approved an official
declaration of local emergency, a mechanism to persuade the state to
help clean up and stop the spread of perchlorate fouling Rialto's

The city has been battling several companies that did business on a
160-acre industrial site -- believed to be the source of the pollution
-- but assorted claims of legal responsibility remain unresolved while
the contamination continues to spread.

"This is the best move we ever made," Rialto Mayor Grace Vargas said
after the vote. "I think we've wasted too much time already."

The chemical perchlorate, suspected of causing birth defects, is
contaminating 360 million gallons of Rialto's drinking water each month.
Rialto's request to Gov. Schwarzenegger also seeks funding to stop the
6-mile-long plume of tainted groundwater, which moves about 20 inches
per day.

For the entire article, see

Lenny Siegel
a project of the Pacific Studies Center