2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 Dec 2006 16:57:31 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Vieques perspective

In Vieques, Puerto Rico, La Lucha Continua
Residents struggle for control after the U.S. Navy's departure.

Liv Gold
Dollars & Sense: The Magazine of Economic Justice
November/December 2006

Last spring, I came across an article in Caribbean Edge magazine on Vieques, a small island seven miles off the coast of Puerto Rico. According to the article, Vieques' "lush green rainforest, pristine beaches, and crystal clear waters" are "the perfect place to relax and experience the quiet charms of a truly unspoiled Caribbean island."

They must have mistaken a different island for Vieques, I thought. "Pristine" and "unspoiled" could not possibly describe the Vieques I knew of, a U.S. aerial weapons testing ground for over 50 years whose residents had a 30% higher cancer rate than Puerto Ricans do, a 381% higher rate of hypertension, and a 95% higher rate of cirrhosis of the liver. And phrases like "perfect place to relax" and "quiet charms" hardly seem apt to describe a place that has been the site of demonstrations and arrests, and whose future continues to be contested terrain.

Of course I could have been wrong—and there was only one way to be sure. In June, I packed my bags and headed to Vieques.

http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2006/1106gold.html

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org