2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 Dec 2006 07:37:14 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Coast Guard drops Great Lakes firing plan

Coast Guard stops gunfire in lake zones

By Jeff Alexander
MUSKEGON CHRONICLE (MI)
December 19, 2006

Citing public criticism and environmental concerns, the U.S. Coast Guard Monday canceled plans to conduct live-fire weapons training at 34 firing ranges on the Great Lakes.

The current proposal is dead, but Coast Guard officials indicated they could introduce a revised plan in the future.

"The current (proposal) is unsatisfactory and I will take the time to get this right," said Rear Adm. John E. Crowley Jr., commander of the Coast Guard's Ninth District office in Cleveland, Ohio.

"I intend to reconsider the number, frequency of use, and location of water training areas as well as other concerns raised by the public," Crowley said in a statement. "I am also committed to pursuing environmentally friendly alternatives to the lead ammunition we currently use."

http://www.mlive.com/news/muchronicle/index.ssf?/base/news-10/1166544916264160.xml&coll=8

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org