2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 28 Apr 2005 02:50:39 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Norco (CA) residents say: Test schools

Residents: Test soil in schools

NORCO: Rocket-fuel chemical pollution at Wyle Labs spurs meeting on students' safety.

By PAIGE AUSTIN
Riverside Press-Enterprise (CA)
April 27, 2005

NORCO - The safety and health of Norco students dominated a Tuesday night meeting about pollution from Wyle Labs.

About 75 residents gathered to ask officials with California's Department of Toxic Substances Control about the underground plume of toxic chemicals that have migrated from the hazardous testing facility nestled in the hills near Norco High, Elementary and Intermediate schools.

Over the last year, increasing amounts of cancer-causing chemical solvents and small amounts of rocket-fuel chemical have been found in the groundwater and soil vapor below and around Wyle.

State officials have tested for contamination at the Norco High football field and their failure to find any leads them to conclude that the pollution doesn't pose an immediate health risk to the students. However, contamination has been found in the ground to the north and south of the high school.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/corona/stories/PE_News_Local_C_wyle27.a312e.html

-- Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 http://www.cpeo.org