2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 24 Jun 2004 21:08:23 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: BOMARC accident site cleaned
Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real

Contaminated soil removal complete

By: Scott Morgan
Bordentown Register-News (NJ)
June 24, 2004

The last known contaminated soil has been removed from the site of a
1960 nuclear silo fire at Fort Dix.

FORT DIX - Air Force officials announced last week that ground crews
have removed the last known contaminated soil from the site of a 1960
nuclear silo fire.

Maj. John Dorrian, an Air Force spokesman, said the last trainload of
soil known to have been contaminated when a BOMARC missile caught fire
in July 1960 was shipped by rail to a treatment site in Utah on May 27.
The $23.2 million cleanup, which ultimately shipped nearly 22,000 cubic
yards of tainted ground to Utah, began in April 2002.

Maj. Dorrian stopped short of calling work at the site - which covers 75
acres crossing McGuire Air Force Base, Fort Dix and Plumsted Township,
Ocean County - completed. Rather, he said the Air Force will continue to
monitor the site to assure that it does not find any more contamination.

for the entire article, see

Lenny Siegel
Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545
Fax: 650/961-8918

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes ? over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!