2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: dickboyd@aol.com
Date: 3 Jun 2004 18:58:03 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Indemnification

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqXaVxieSa8wsBba/ExpertCity

This is regarding the responsibility (liability) for proper use of formerly
used defense sites.

At a recent former Camp Beale RAB, the Army Corps of Engineers attorney,
Allen Curlee, did an excellent job of explaining his duties. Things he could do
and things he could not do as an attorney. Responsibilities to his client, for
instance. And prohibitions against giving legal advice to those not his
clients.

After this briefing, I have more questions than before the briefing.

BACKGROUND: General Services Administration normally acts as the agent for
the Federal Government in disposing of property. GSA follows a set process and
uses a defined procedure. The property is "as is", "where is" and there are
clauses to "save harmless" the federal government if the property is used as
described. The intent is to limit federal liability. If the property is not used
as described, the new owner assumes responsibility. In a sense, there is a
cloud on the title for unrestricted use. Title searches, as used in the Real
Estate Industry might not catch these restrictions. Buyer beware.

My understanding is that the federal government remains responsible for
cleaning up any found ordinance, but is not responsible for conducting searches
beyond some bare minimum consistent with intended use. For instance, surface use
only based on a records search, cleaning visible items and magnetometer
sweeps.

According to the archives of the Camp Beale study, there was a request in
1969 to remove the indemnification clause from properties owned by Clay
Association. Batzell, Nunn & Bode, a law firm from Washington, DC, requested that GSA
remove the indemnification clause. The response from GSA was non committal. It
only acknowledged receipt of the request and indicated further response in two
weeks. (Early 1970.) I could not find a response that indicated the
indemnification had been removed.

Was the "save harmless" clause ever removed?

If the clause was removed, did the federal government assume additional
responsibilities?

If the clause was not removed, and the land use has changed, who assumed
responsibility for damages that might result from any unexploded ordnance? I
understand that the federal government will remove the unexploded ordnance. But
what happens if the ordnance explodes? Is the party that changed the terms of use
now responsible for payment to survivors?

Since Yuba County has approved a development plan for some of the property,
does that imply that Yuba County has assumed responsibility for damages that
might ensue if the ordnance were to explode and injure or kill someone?

dickboyd@aol.com

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card
0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus®
award* Start Saving Today ? APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
secure.
http://click.topica.com/caaciqQaVxieSa8wsBbf/Discover Card