2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 3 Jun 2004 14:51:00 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Hanford contractor criticized

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqTaVxieSa8wsBba/ExpertCity

Hanford contractor is criticized over safety issues

By LISA STIFFLER
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
June 3, 2004

A Hanford contractor was sharply criticized yesterday by federal
investigators for failing to protect workers from toxic and radioactive
chemicals at the nuclear-waste cleanup site, concluding that aging
underground tanks are at risk of collapsing and aren't being properly monitored.

A separate Energy Department investigation, however, found no evidence
of criminal misconduct by contractors accused of trying to cover up
worker illnesses and injuries.

Investigators looking into the tank cleanup cited dangerous practices by
contractor CH2M Hill that "could seriously damage" some of the 177
massive tanks holding highly radioactive waste.

"It's not just worker health and safety," said Tom Carpenter, a Seattle
attorney with the Government Accountability Project, a watchdog group.
"It's all of our health and safety."

for the entire article, see
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/176179_hanford03.html

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes ? over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caaciq1aVxieSa8wsBbf/UOP