2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 1 Jun 2004 18:11:02 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Ft. Hunter Liggett - no national park

Sponsor a child today through Children International.
Give a desperately poor child hope for a brighter future.
For only $18 a month you can make a difference!
http://click.topica.com/caaciqSaVxieSbnA7rua/Children's Int'l

Training base won't join national parks system

IN 4-YEAR STUDY, ARMY SAYS IT NEEDS 165,000-ACRE SITE

By Paul Rogers
San Jose Mercury News
June 1, 2004

Turning aside its second proposal this year to establish a new national
park along California's central coast, the Bush administration has
concluded that Fort Hunter Liggett in Monterey County has the unique
resources to qualify as a national park but should not become one
because of Army training needs.

Instead, the National Park Service is recommending that about a dozen
historic buildings on the 165,000-acre oak-studded Army base be added to
Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument, a state park 25 miles south.

The findings, met with disappointment by environmentalists and the
area's congressman, are part of a four-year study ordered by Congress
and set for release today.

As part of the study, the park service also said it will not support
legislation that would transfer the base to the national park system if
the Pentagon closes it as part of a future reorganization.

"The area is nationally significant," said Holly Bundock, a spokeswoman
for the National Park Service. "But we understand that our direction is
to take care of what we've got now, and we are not seeking to expand the
national park system."

For the entire article, go to http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/central_coast
and click on the article.

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqTaVxieSbnA7ruf/ExpertCity