2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 28 May 2004 20:20:26 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Hanford waste dispute

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaccMVaVxieSa8wsBba/ ExpertCity

Waste reclassification fight comes to Hanford

By Annette Cary
Tri-City Herald (WA)
May 28, 2004

White pelicans stood in the gray-green shallows of the last free-flowing
stretch of the Columbia River on Thursday morning, seemingly oblivious
to the jet boats roaring past carrying Sen. Maria Cantwell and state
officials.

This is how the Hanford Reach should always look, said David Mears,
senior assistant attorney general for Washington.

It was a serene setting for the latest salvo in what's becoming an
increasingly bitter fight between Washington state leaders and
Washington, D.C., leaders over the future of some of Hanford's nastiest
waste.

Cantwell and state officials toured the river to call attention to the
Senate fight expected to resume next week over whether the Department of
Energy may reclassify high-level nuclear waste stored in underground
tanks.

"Our fear is that if the Department of Energy is left to its own
devices, it will reclassify much of that waste to leave it in tanks in
the current untreated condition," said Mike Wilson, nuclear waste
program manager for the state Department of Ecology.

for the entire article, see
http://www.tri-cityherald.com/tch/local/story/5129538p-5058168c.html

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card
0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus®
award* Start Saving Today ? APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
secure.
http://click.topica.com/caacf0DaVxieSa8wsBbf/ Discover Card