2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 29 Apr 2004 21:30:21 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Kings Bay Cleanup

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes ? over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caab6aBaVxieSa8wsBba/ UOP

Groundwater almost clean

Jennifer Spinner
Kings Bay Periscope (GA)
April 29, 2004

Groundwater contamination from the nearly 30-year-old ''Old Camden''
municipal landfill on what is now NSB Kings Bay is almost completely
cleaned up, thanks to an innovative remediation treatment that marries
scientific technology with the healing power of nature.

''Kings Bay is a well-known site in remediation technology,'' said Frank
Chapelle, United States Geological Survey hydrologist. ''It is one of
the only sites in the world where we have monitored the effects of
in-situ oxidation for an extended period and can actually witness the
contamination disappearing.''

The problem was serious. A plume of hazardous groundwater contamination,
including vinyl chloride, was moving from the old landfill site toward
Crooked River Plantation, a residential area located just outside of the
base gates.

The initial pump-and-treat solution, state of the art at the time, was
installed in 1993.

for the entire story, see
http://www.kingsbayperiscope.com/stories/042904/kin_groundwater001.shtml

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caab6awaVxieSa8wsBbf/ ExpertCity