2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 Feb 2004 19:36:55 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Critics say location may be polluted

California
SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE
Critics say location may be polluted
By Ronald W. Powell
February 20, 2004

A proposal for a water quality research laboratory at the former Naval
Training Center has been approved unanimously by the state Coastal
Commission despite critics who say the site may have toxic contamination
below ground.

The state commission approved permits sought by the San Diego State
University Foundation to construct a two-story, 40,000-square-foot
building. It would be built on property west of Lindbergh Field that was
part of the Navy boot camp, which closed in 1997 after 75 years.

The facility would be used jointly by the foundation and the United
States Geological Survey.

Before the vote, several speakers argued that the $6.5 million project,
funded by the foundation, should be delayed or denied.

Cynthia Conger of the Peninsula Community Planning Board urged
commissioners to delay approval until further studies could determine if
an old landfill has contaminated the site.

"If we go ahead and allow this . . . it may cost us more in terms of
liability and lawsuits," she said.

Conger's concerns were echoed by John McNab of the grassroots Save Our
NTC, who alleged that Marines from the nearby Marine Corps Recruit Depot
had gotten sick and even died while training near the site.

Lou Haberkern of the San Diego State Foundation said extensive soil
borings were done at the former training center and none showed any
problems with toxics in the vicinity of the laboratory site.

"There is no indication of soil pollution," Haberkern said.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20040220-9999-1m20statelab.html