2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Theodore Henry <ted@theodorejhenry.com>
Date: 6 Feb 2004 15:25:55 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: Moving nerve gas waste is criticized

Not sure about VXH and too tired tonight to confirm environmental 1/2
life of VX, but I believe VX is the most persistent of the nerve agents
and that the 1/2 life can be in the order of weeks depending on such
factors as temperature.

Separate from Susan's points of discussion and my tidbit addition, I did
skim the article and saw a sound-bite I could not pass up.  By far my
favorite quote in the article is "Stand-alone, these things do have some
toxic properties, but in this mix they're no more hazardous than table
salt."  Spoken like a true, old-fashioned spokesman.  Simply classic!

Based on this crisp scientific statement, I would suggest that anyone
driving home from the grocery store with salt in the trunk should
contact the Department of Transportation to get the necessary placard
and consult the state with regard to the least populated route home -
apparently table salt can be darn nasty.

Ted Henry