2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Walsh, William" <walshw@pepperlaw.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2004 17:11:32 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: Moving nerve gas waste is criticized

As I understand it, it is neutralent that is being transported. It is 99.99%
or more water and other nonchemical agent material.  There are low levels of
agent.  I think that the Final EIS on the Nonstockpile transportable units
summarized a lot of the data on neutralent as well as some of the National
Research Council reports (available on line).  The Dupont treatment is to
reduce the small amount of residual left.

Thus, the residual of agent in the truck: (1) are not at levels that are
anywhere near the levels in the original weapons; (2) are well below any
acute toxic level; (3)are not in the form (gas) that is of concern for the
original agent.  Any of the 200,000 gasoline trucks or hazardous waste
transport trucks on the roads every day present a greater relative risk.

William J. Walsh
Pepper Hamilton LLP
600 Fourteenth Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20005