2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 31 Jul 2002 18:29:36 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Perchlorate

From: Charles Douglas <caseyjones9@hotmail.com>

Lenny,

I have been following the discussion line on this bulletin board
regarding perchlorate with great interest.  I am particularly interested
in the recent posting about perchlorate samples in Massachusetts that
stated "[t]he method detection limit for remedial investigation is
approximately 0.40 ppb."  I am only aware of one EPA approved method for
perchlorate, method 314.0, and it has a method detection limit MDL of 4
ppb, a full order of magnitude higher.  What method is being used to
detect down to .40 ppb in Massachusetts?  If it is a good method, why
hasn't EPA published it as an approved method for national use, and if
its not a good method, why is EPA permitting Massachusetts to use it and
keep citing it in the press?

Jeff

Charles G. Douglas

Arlington, VA