2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 10 Jul 2002 16:31:34 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] GAO says env. laws aren't getting in the way ofmilitary training

This article repeats a Navy concern about how habitat protection laws
are restricting the use of California's San Clemente Island. Does anyone
know the full story about how past mismanagement - letting goats run
wild - is a major source of the problems there. I only have one short
news article on the topic? I'd like to know more.

Applied properly, the environmental laws should prevent such
mismanagement and require steps to help the environment recovery. That
may mean restrictions on readiness activities, but it shouldn't prevent
all training at San Clemente.

Lenny