2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Steve@miltoxproj.org
Date: 3 May 2002 16:40:01 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] sprawl

Wayne makes the following statement in his response to Lenny's post about Luke Air Force Base:

"I have been reading email from this group for more than 5 years and not once have I heard any constructive suggestions on how the military
can perform their mission and stay in an area."

I'm assuming that when Wayne says "this group" he means either the list serve in general or CPEO.

Here are a few suggestions, intended as thoughts rather than a policy proposal. Please note that these are my own thoughts and not the
positions of the Military Toxics Project.

Some things that might help allow the military to perform its mission and stay in an area:
 a.. Don't site facilities and ranges above sole source aquifers.
 b.. Create significant buffer zones around ranges.
c.. Institute comprehensive on-site and off-site monitoring to quickly detect contamination and pollution and immediately share all results with surrounding communities.
 d.. Respond quickly and completely to environmental problems.
e.. Perform serious and complete clearance of UXO before they release hazardous substances into the environment.

Steve Taylor
Military Toxics Project