2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 4 Mar 2002 16:01:28 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] MILITARY SEEKS EXEMPTIONS FROM ENVIRONMENTAL RULES

AmeriScan: March 1, 2002

MILITARY SEEKS EXEMPTIONS FROM ENVIRONMENTAL RULES

WASHINGTON, DC, March 1, 2002 (ENS) - Fifty grassroots leaders from
across the country rallied outside the U.S. Capitol on Thursday to
demand that an upcoming Congressional hearing on military compliance
with environmental laws include community and state witnesses.

The rally and press conference - organized by the Military Toxics
Project (MTP) - was called to protest the exclusion of community
representatives from a March 14 hearing before the Military Readiness
Subcommittee of the House Armed Services Committee.

"The people impacted by military contamination and pollution deserve a
chance to tell their side of the story," said Tara Thornton, executive
director of the MTP. "We're demanding that the subcommittee expand the
witness list for March 14 to include impacted communities and states. We
have a right to be heard."

The complete story can be viewed at:
http://ens-news.com/ens/mar2002/2002L-03-01-09.html