2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: petestrauss1@attbi.com
Date: 25 Feb 2002 14:51:08 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Digest for cpeo-military@igc.topica.com, issue 475

Susan:

After thinking about your idea (taking cleanup out of the hands of the
polluter), I first gave it some merit.  However, upon reflection I think
its the opposite direction we should take. I would like to see the
military and the DOE take responsibility for the consequences of there
actions.  I don't think that this will occur unless the program involved
has to pay for the cleanup. As you know, at DOE sites Defense Program
(DP) makes the mess and the environmental program cleans it up. Even if
there were to be a tax on defense programs, its not very effective in
changing behavior. It has to be brought down to the level were DP
management designs and operates systems where they are required to clean
up after themselves. That would mean incorporating environmental
personnel on staff, and incorporating environmental concerns into the
mission of the agencies and their programs. I believe that taking
responsibility for your mess is the only really effective way of
changing behavior.

Peter