2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: UTOSI-Hdqrs@kc.rr.com
Date: 13 Jun 2001 16:33:16 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Army ponders Contaminants' Cleanup at Former Oleum Site Sunflower (

From:
United Tribe of Shawnee Indians
P.O. Box 505
Shawnee Reserve Number 206
De Soto, Kansas 66018-0505

To:
Mr. George F. Hanley, CENWK
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
816-983-3486
601 E 12 St
Kansas City, Missouri

Dear Mr. Hanley:

It is stated in DC, No. 17, p. 355 that officials at the Army's Operational
Support Command (OSC) are reviewing the environmental survey of Oleum
manufacturing and storage facilities at the closed and excess Sunflower
Army Ammunition Plant, (SFAAP) De Soto, Kansas.

It is our understanding that under the terms of a 1992 agreement Koch
Industries, who produced Oleum for resale at SFAAP) is responsible for
remediation of any environmental damages they may have caused.

It is also understood the contamination includes sulfate, chromium, lead
and mercury contamination as stated by Mr. Joel Semler. DC, No. 17, p. 355.

We know the acid (Oleum) sites have now been designated as SWMU's (Two
sites).

We are concerned that the tax payer is having to pay for the clean up of
subject Oleum sites (SWMU's) and not Koch Industries the user of the sites
for resale of Oleum. The cost for cleanup of the contamination is of great
concern.

We would like to know why Koch has not been made to pay for subject
remediation?

Thank you.

             /S/
Jimmie D. Oyler, Principal Chief
United Tribe of Shawnee Indians and a RAB member