2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: saulbloom@mindspring.com
Date: 22 Dec 2000 18:13:24 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Question about US base cleanups abroad

Marianne and Doris:

The US military does not have RABs for public involvement around cleanup
issues regarding our overseas installations as the Pentagon considers that
an intrusion in the domestic political practices of other nations.

With regard to assistance to the Philippines, if you are interested in
getting involved in the issue and are not already aware and participating in
the organization, I would urge you to hook up with FACES - Filipino American
Coalition for Environmental Safeguards.  FACES is a new coalition replacing
the United States Working Group on Philippine Base Cleanup and it works as
the US-based solidarity organization for the People's Task Force on Bases
Cleanup, the Philippine-based national coalition coordinating the campaign
there on military base contamination and cleanup.  The Director of FACES is
Ms. Christina Leano and she can be reached at faces@mcc.org.   FACES has
just had its first national core committee meeting and has approved a US
national agenda for action to support of the cleanup of military bases in
the Philippines - including the promotion of vehicles for greater public
participation. Arc Ecology provides environmental and economic technical
support to FACES and the People's Task Force, and has been in contact with
both groups on the issue of the applicability of RABs overseas.

Saul Bloom
Arc Ecology