2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:42:54 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Fences at UXO sites

from Keoni Fairbanks <kfairbanks@kirc.state.hi.us> of the Kaho'olawe
Island Reserve Commission

What exactly is "active patrolling?"  Is it a 24/7 on-duty guard?  Is it
occasional patrols to deter violations of the fenceline?  "Enforcement"
is an expensive sink hole for spending and it is NEVER 100% effective,
especially if there are attractive resources beckoning potential
violators. Enforcement professionals will all tell you that "education"
is the key. Without an informed and supportive public, effective
enforcement is not attainable.

Requiring an on-duty guard may be no problem for an active military
installation with lots of cheap labor, but be careful that the standard
you are suggesting does not shut down access to community-managed lands
that are former ranges with residual hazards.  In our case there is a
community desire to allow for, and manage, higher risk activities than
may be acceptable to the suburban California standard.  If we are
required to pay for measures (signs, fences & patrols) that comfort the
mothers of school age children in a suburban context, we will never have
enough money for the important ecological restoration work that needs to
occur on our former range.

I guess the key is to develop procedures and standards specific to each
geographic/community context.  (Another reason that cleanups should be
locally managed!)

c/o PSC, 222B View St., Mountain View, CA 94041
lsiegel@cpeo.org