1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Mervtano@AOL.COM
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 11:50:24 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: All Remediation Flows From Characterization

While it is true that remediation flows from characterization your example
demonstrates that sometimes, presumptive, or preconceived notions as to
what the appropriate remediation technology should be, drives the
characterization effort.  My sense is that this is true for those who are
proponents of caps for landfills as well as for those who believe in
removal as the only way to go.

What I especially do not like about incomplete site characterizations is
that the uncertainties they generate force people into extreme positions
and because they eliminate the possibility of designing and getting public
acceptance of a rational, staged cleanup.