1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Steven Pollack <themissinglink@eznetinc.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 08:35:09 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Response to Steven Pollack

Marilyn Null:

When you say, "but ultimately the government is responsible for the decision",
this gets to the core of the problem.  The government is the lead agency in
applying the environmental laws which it creates to the environmental mess it
created.  Yet it is the citizen as stakeholder who must live with the
consequences, who neither wrote the laws, created the mess, nor is given more
than advisory status in the cleanup process.  And there you sit, in the
Pentagon, thousands of miles from the toxins leaching into our drinking water,
balancing the competing interests of our health and your budget.  Does this
not seem as more than just the appearance of a conflict of interest?  Is it
not an actual conflict of interest?  It seems the stakeholders think so.  At
least that is the impression I got at the ARC Ecology meeting in Chicago last
year.

Steven Pollack
http://www.familyjeweler.com/fortweb.htm