1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Dick and Jill Miller <dmiller@gis.net>
Date: 19 Feb 1998 12:39:35
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: RAB's Business?

olah@speagle.com wrote:

> Please post.
>
> Lenny and all,
> One problem here, at Wisconsin's Badger AAP, is that only those cleanups
> covered in the RCRA permit are brought to the attention of the RAB.
> Other sites being cleaned up under other authorities (ususally the
> State's) are, the Army says, not pertinent to the RAB.
> Of further concern, documents pertinent to these "other" cleanups are
> usually not placed in the public repositories, consequently the
> community often finds out a remedy has been approved and/or initiated
> after the fact. [An example of an "excluded" cleanup is a fuel oil
> spill.]
>
> Question: Is there anything in DOD's RAB guidance that gives the
> facility (in this case the Army) unilateral authority to decide which
> cleanups are under RAB "jurisdiction" or not? Where can we find
> documentation to support our desire to be involved in ALL cleanups at
> the base?
>
> Laura
> --
> Laura Olah, Executive Director
> Citizens for Safe Water Around Badger
> E12629 Weigand's Bay South
> Merrimac, Wisconsin 53561
> olah@speagle.com
> Phone (608)643-3124 Fax (608)643-0005
> Website http://www.speagle.com/cswab

The answer to that question may depend upon the spirit of the RAB
members.

The community members of our RAB were pressured heavily to adopt such a
wording for our own charter, but we proposed a much more general, highly
simplified wording. The Army's reaction was at first to say that it
wasn't legal, and finally to say that we were a good group and didn't
require a formal charter. :-)

We ARE a good group, and it's the Army that avoided committing itself.

Cheers from
--Dick Miller <DMiller@gis.net>
 Citizen member, SSCOM RAB (a.k.a. U.S. Army Natick Laboratories)
--
A. Richard & Jill A. Miller | MILLER MICROCOMPUTER SERVICES |
Mailto:DMiller@gis.net | 61 Lake Shore Road |