1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Don Zweifel <zweifel@chapman.edu>
Date: 12 Dec 1997 15:14:13
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Airspace ownership

The airspace from ground level up to the stratosphere is in the exclusive
domain of each nation-state according to international agreement.

In the US our Federal Aviation Agency has overall jurisdiction over all
airspace over the contiguous national boundaries and beyond to varying
distances, i.e., the continental air defense zone is an extention
of our national boundaries beyond our landmass.

Most of the DoD's military airspace requirements have been in place since
WWII. The military conducts a significant proportion of its training
flights in "restricted" and/or "warning" airspace zones, meaning that no
general or commercial aircraft are allowed to penetrate these areas unless
an FAA advisory states otherwise. The penalty for violating this airspace
intentionally or even inadvertantly can in some instances be cause for
disciplinary proceedings against the A/C or aircraft commander or
pilot-in-charge.

No one has ever "owned" any airspace other than the federal govt as far as
I know. The airlines use air corridors designated by the FAA but cannot
excerise any authority over their use because they cannot purchase them.

However, in time of national emergency all general aviation and
scheduled foreign airline flights can be cancelled by the
commander-in-chief via executive order, as they were during WWII.

No foreign military flights are allowed over US soil without the
specific authorizationn of our Dept. of Defense. These flights are usually
only allowed when certain guest nations are involved in joint military
manuevers with our service branches which are always closely involved.

Citizen complaints regarding noise/CNEL violations and etc. can be
forwarded to the local FAA regional hdqtrs and your military
installation's community relations officer.

These people are extremely sensitive to the public pulse regarding
overflights below minimum altitude or any other presumed violation.
These complaints are carefully recorded and are usually investigated
especially if several citizens join together in common cause.

 Don Zweifel
 Cons. to El Toro Redevelopment Authority
 regarding MCAS, El Toro, Ca.