1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Polly Parks <pparks@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 10:34:04 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: PERFORMANCE-BASED SYSTEM

From: Polly Parks <pparks@igc.org>

Dear Lenny:

I would suggest cpro be used to generate some discussion on this
"performance based system" issue. I would like to hear from folks in the
military, state regulatory agencies, epa, industry, and citizens and local
government as to what they think this means.

My experience in the Innovative Technology and Regulatory Cooperation
working group (of do-it or as they now say: did it -- sic) is that there is
no real definition. So if we want to be able to discuss it, we better start
with developing a common definition.

Also I have just one question -- are you advocating the use of
cost-plus-award fees. In my discussion with some industry leaders (as
opposed to those who like to simply milk the sow), this is one of the most
destructive aspects of the military procurement system. Internally it
promotes the type of inertia that has made the military budget so unwieldy.
For industry it makes them lazy.

So anyway, I guess I need a little better explanation of what you mean.

I hope other folks respond to this issue. I would particularly like to hear
from state regulatory agencies, Ms. Goodman, Mr. McCall, Mr. Fatz, and Ms.
Munsell, and the federal facilities at EPA.

Polly