1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 1995 23:51:53 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: DEFENSE AUTHORIZATION ACT UPDATE

MORE ON DEFENSE AUTHORIZATION BILL

I've obtained copies of the environmental provisions of the Fiscal
Year Defense Authorization Bill. There is one area of concern that I
had not previously reported.

Section 325 would cut off Defense Department funding for the
preparation of toxicological profiles by the Agency for Toxic
Substances and Disease Registry, an arm of the Department of Health
and Human Services, as well as money provided to the
Environmental Protection Agency for the preparation of health
advisories. The Defense Department would still be responsible for
providing data and personnel in support of these two tasks, which
apply specifically to hazardous materials found on military
installations.

In addition, the actual language clarifies the arbitrary limit on studies
that I reported previously. Section 326 says:

"It is the sense of Congress that the Secretary of Defense should
make every effort to limit, by the end of fiscal year 1997, spending
for administration, support, studies, and investigations associated
with the Defense Environmental Restoration Account to 20 percent of
the total funding for that account."

Finally, Congressman Marty Meehan (D-Massachusetts) proposed an amendment
to put back the "fence" around DERA, but the Republican-controlled Rules
Committee will not let it - and many other worthy amendments reach the House floor.