1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 12:17:01 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: CONGRESSIONAL LETTER SUPPORTS DERA

 posted by Mather AFB RAB
 via Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>

 What follows is a letter that the Mather AFB RAB is
 circulating throughout its community for signatures. It
 will be sent to their legislators on Friday (6-14-95). It
 serves as an example of what one community is doing in
 response to the cuts in the DERA budget. Please feel free
 to adapt it to your own needs. The Mather AFB RAB
 encourages other RABs to collect community signatures in
 support of full funding for environmental cleanup.

 The signatures below represent citizens concerned about the
 rescission of $300 million that was initially appropriated
 through the Defense Environmental Restoration Act for
 environmental cleanup. The Defense Supplemental
 Appropriations Act has decreased the total amount left to
 cleanup active and formerly active bases to $1.48 billion.
 Presently the pentagon recognizes 1,722 contaminated
 installations, 107 of which are contaminated enough to
 warrant listing on the National Priority List. The $1.48
 billion granted is $700 million less than requested by the
 Department of Defense.

 The House National Security Committee has recommended for
 fiscal year 1996 $200 million in cuts to the Defense
 Environmental Restoration Act which will bring the budgeted
 amount to $1.42 billion. The number of bases requiring
 cleanup has basically stayed the same.

 We want to urge our legislators to sign the Studds-Ehrlich
 letter so that we can work together in prioritizing sites
 that pose the greatest risk to human health and the
 environment. We also invite the co-signers to join in
 calling for funding for military cleanup at the level
 requested by the Clinton Administration.

 We would at this time like to commend the cleanup efforts
 that have been going on at Mather Air Force Base. Great
 strides have been made in implementing reuse. We greatly
 appreciate your support in this area and ask for continued
 help. We would be greatly dismayed to see funding taken
 away or decreased to the point that the contamination
 spreads and our health affected. We have great faith in the
 American System and know that our children will grow up in a
 land that provides protection for them abroad and at home.

 NAME ADDRESS