1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 1995 16:55:10 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: CONGRESSIONAL LETTER SUPPORTS DERA

DEAR COLLEAGUE LETTER

At last Defense cleanup appears to have some
Congressional champions again - that is, members who
have decided to make cleanup funding an issue.

Rep. Gerry E. Studds (D-Massachusetts) and Rep. Robert
L. Ehrlich, Jr. (R-Maryland) are circulating a "Dear
Colleague" letter seeking co-signers for a letter to the
House Appropriations Committee, calling for funding
military cleanup accounts at the level requested by the
Clinton Administration.

I will try to have the longer letter to the Appropriators
posted soon. For now, here is the concluding paragraph:

"The DOD budget for environmental restoration is a fiscally
realistic effort to assure progress in the cleanup of
contamination at military installations. We urge you to
fund the program at no less than the requested level."

Below is the Dear Colleague letter:

Lenny Siegel

Dear Colleague:

We are writing to invite you to co-sign letters to the
Appropriations Committee in support of the
Administration's FY96 budget request for Department of
Defense environmental restoration programs. The Pentagon
has asked for $1.6 billion for the Defense Environmental
Restoration Account for cleanup at active installations and
$457 million for cleanup of military facilities slated for
closure. Attached [not here] is a list of these installations,
which includes at least one located in or near your district.

As you probably know, the DOD rescissions bill cut $300
million from DERA, delaying cleanup activities at facilities
all over the country. In many cases, cleanup plans
intended to address public health concerns - such as
contamination threats to public drinking water supplies -
will be put off. If FY96 funding is reduced beyond this,
further delays are inevitable.

[Members of Congress seeking more information or wishing
to co-sign the letter are asked to call Eileen O'Brien at
202/225-3111.]