1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Linda_Vrabel@qmgate.arc.nasa.gov
Date: 13 May 1995 11:48:41
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Distribution of budget

Posting from "Linda Vrabel" <Linda_Vrabel@qmgate.arc.nasa.gov>

 RE>>Distribution of budget cuts. 5/13/95

Please repost this informatiopn.
Thanks
Linda
--------------------------------------
Date: 5/10/95 4:34 PM
To: Linda Vrabel
From: cpro.military
From: Gawain Kripke <gkripke@Essential.ORG>

To clarify a bit:

For the $1,780 million FY95 Defense Environmental Restoration budget, $300
million has been rescinded. FY95 is this current year. So this means
FY95 funding is actually $1,480 million for DERA. Congress has approved
this cut, the President has signed it, done. What is not clear is how
this cut in funding will be distributed across the cleanups at facilities
around the country. What I have is an estimate of how DoD thinks it will
make the cuts, but apparently they are revising this plan.

The next question is what will happen to the FY96 Defense Environmental
Restoration budget. The President has requested $1,622 million but there
are indications that Congress will slash this deeply. Decisions about
this will happen starting this week as the House and Senate Budget
Committees begin developing the broad budget guidelines for FY96. Next
week the subcommittees of the House Committee on National Security will
begin "marking up" the Defense Bill which authorizing spending levels.
Rumor has it that these subcommittees will hack away at the environmental
cleanup budgets for DERA and BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure -- for
closing facilities in particular).

I wrote a fact sheet which briefly describes the process and timing a
few weeks ago. I posted it on this conference. If anyone would like me
to repost it to them, just send me a message.

Gawain Kripke
FRIENDS OF THE EARTH
gkripke@essential.org