1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: coho@whidbey.net
Date: 07 Jan 1995 12:10:29
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Dem ol'RAB blues

Posting from Bill Skubi <coho@whidbey.net>

Our most recent RAB meeting (Jan 5) for NAS Whidbey Island Superfund
Clean up was a stunning disaster. After having a fairly lively and in
someway fruitful interaction on the RAB throughout 1994 we returned in
the new year to some growing issues.
1. In this first meeting of the new year the Navy chair rushed through an
agenda remeniscent of a military breifing (without debriefing). Input
from civilian rab members was discouraged and in somecases even shut down.

2. Even though there were several newly appointed members of the RAB in
attendance for the first time, no introductions were made. Not even the
Community Co-chair had been introduced or made aware of the new members
in any way prior to or during the meeting.

3. When this deficit was pointed out, the Navy Chair did not pause to
introduce the members to each other. When the "old guard" civilian RAB
members said we thought we should proceed with the orientation meeting as
soon as possible, Navy administrators of the RAB said they would be too
busy with conferences in January to plan the orientation before med February.
Navy representatives on the RAB in no way shared with the community
members that some of this conference time would be spent in San Francisco
at the FFERDC meetings. No invitation has been extended to any community
member of the RAB to attend this meeting.

4. A serious issue is emerging with one community RAB member whose
husband is being harrassed on his job, and pressure brought to bear on
his employer with construction contracts on base, directly attributed to
his wifes participation on the RAB.

In short the Navy's demonstrated lack of social skills in these matters
seems even higher than normal. Based on the extreme nervousness and
change of atmosphere at the most recent RAB meeting it would be hard to
rule out orders from up the chain of command.

I feel we need some help here.

Bill Skubi